View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 PM  
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer

I spent quite some time evaluating and testing all the different possibilities and here is what I've come up with.

1. Connecting to different FTP server will automatically clear the current active edit list and any remote edits in progress will not trigger a prompt on save. (Now a Edit and upload on the other hand might, see #3).

2. If you save a file while connected to Site A, the upload prompt is shown, if you move the prompt aside, disconnect from Site A and connect to Site B and then switch back to the upload prompt and click Yes to upload the file.. FlashFXP then attempts to read an invalid edit record and the results are somewhat unpredictable. In most cases nothing happens, however in one case I managed to crash FlashFXP. I am working on a fix that will be included in the next update.

3. If you use the "Edit and upload" feature within the local browser where you're editing a local file directly (and not a temporary copy of a remote file) there is a possibility of confusion and a chance to upload the file to the wrong server, but only if all of the following are true. 1. the file must exist in the active edits history of the current server. 2. you save the file while connected to the current server triggering the upload prompt. 3. you click yes to upload the file. .i.e you use Edit and upload to edit a file on site A, disconnect site A, connect to site B, forget your on site B and save the file you were previously editing. If this file is in the active edit history it will prompt you to upload the file.

Depending on how you are using the active edit feature a simple solution could be to turn off the remote edit history. Options > Preferences > View and Edit File > Remote Edit > [ ] Remember edit history.

I am still investigating the issue with a fast save within 5 seconds not triggering a prompt.

Update: It looks like the write time of a file has a 2 second resolution, and the write time isn't updated until the file handle is closed. This is not fast enough when the time it takes FlashFXP to close the file handle and launch the text editor can be just a few milliseconds. I have a solution though. When doing a remote edit we do not preserve the file date/time when downloading to the temporary file, so my plan is to use this to our advantage by changing the modified date/time of the temporary file to a slightly earlier time. In all my tests this seems to solve the issue of the prompt not being triggered.

Last edited by bigstar; 01-27-2012 at 11:48 PM.