View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 06:22 AM  
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer

There is an obvious problem with the logic of using the file transfer rule rename in this situation; It doesn't rename the existing file but rather the newly created file being uploaded.

For it to work this way several factors must be considered.

1. The original file would need to be renamed prior to uploading the new file, if the original file was created by another account on the server it could result in a permission denied error.

2. The new file may need to copy the file permissions of the original file (i.e. .php scripts), depending on the server configuration this may or may not be possible.

3. Now instead of being a single operation, it becomes a 3-step process. 1. rename the original. 2. upload the new file. 3. set the permissions to match the original file.

4. Using this logic for version control/backups would result in a backup for each edit, I can easily imagine seeing dozens of files each with dozens of backups, which in turn could overwhelm the person trying to manage everything.
I may consider a custom method for "upload rename" suffixes for future releases of FlashFXP but as it is right now the existing logic isn't what you want.

It doesn't really make sense for the remote editing to use the file transfer rules.