View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 05:22 PM  
Telcontar

Question Excessive connection utilisation

I'm posting this in the hope that someone, somewhere might know what's going on.

On my Windows 2000 desktop PC (Linksys BEFSR41 router and 2000/200 cable connection) I've got FlashFXP 3.6.0 and BulletProof FTP 2.1.6 server.

Upstream speed from both FlashFXP and BulletProof is the full 26 kB/sec, but FlashFXP completely swamps my Net connection and makes it effectively unusable. If I upload a large file to an FTP site (any site) via FlashFXP, that's my Internet connection down the drain for up to an hour or two. If someone downloads the same file from my FTP server, the transfer speed is exactly the same, but I wouldn't even notice anyone was using my connection except for the BPFTP tray icon changing colour.

I've spent ages poking around in TDIMon looking at packets and forcing FlashFXP to allow 1 kB packets even though that's outside of the limits of its UI, but I don't have any metrics here, no way to definitively measure the "swampiness" of different packet sizes. Trying to do it empirically does my head in as the effect seems to vary from one minute to the next.

Besides, if the answer actually is to use 1 kB packets, I can't force this on FlashFXP as it doesn't use a combo box and this packet size is out of range, and will get put back to the default any time I update the settings.

For many years, I've just accepted that FTP uploads are just an abomination on this planet (on any OS, any client) but BPFTP opened my eyes, demonstrating identical speed with no stress on my connection.

Anyone know what the secret is here? It would be much appreciated!

Cheers