View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:16 PM  
bigstar
FlashFXP Developer

I created a folder with 750k files, Attempted to enter this folder in FlashFXP after 30min and 500mb of memory usage I decided it was time to throw in the towel.

I decided it was time to try and open this folder in windows explorer, 10min and 177mb later windows explorer was able to display the folder content.

I ended up deleting 250k files with a simple app I wrote to re-test. I ended up leaving windows explorer open to this location without thinking and for the past 20min it's cpu usage has been stuck at 100%.

After restarting windows I decided to try this again, however I decided to test with 100k files as starting point. 100k files will display though the performance isn't as good as I'd like it, In the next few months I may attempt a rewrite of the shell enumeration objects and management.

Sadly you're not going to be able to use FlashFXP with a folder that contains 750k files, or even 150k, the performance and usability becomes extremely poor around 100k files though 100k files is usable.

I would have to recommend no more than 50k files per folder for sanity.

I will attempt to improve performance a few months down the road, however it would be very unlikely that we ever reach the point where handling 750k files in a single folder is a viable option.