View Single Post
Old 06-03-2007, 12:06 PM  
antifreeze

OK, I've done some further testing and found what the problem might be.

After editing files in webBuilder, I used ANSI in 'pc format' to save files, which uses Windows CRLF line breaks. If I upload these php files directly in FlashFXP, they are automatically changed to acsii plain text (which changes the CRLF linebreaks to unix LF linebreaks).

However, regularly I zip up the whole local site and upload it. The zipping prevents the files I've edited from being converted into plain ascii. So on the server, most of the files have LF linebreaks, whilst the ones I've edited in webBuilder have CRLF linebreaks.

The problem, then, with subsequent editing is that FlashFXP doesn't seem to recognise CRLF linebreaks, whilst the cpanel filemanager on my server, and webBuilder do. This is why when I use webBuilder's own ftp capability the problem does not occur, but when FlashFXP opens the CRLF files (even in it's own internal editor), it inserts the 'extra' linebreaks.

The quick solution is simply to use the option in webBuilder to save as 'unix format', which uses LF linebreaks. This completely solves the issue for me and has no reprecussions for editing the local copy of my website either.

So, apologies; it appears that it is not a bug, but a simple deficiency in FlashFXP to recognise Windows linebreaks. I have no idea if it is an important enough issue for you to correct in a future version. I do know that many people running local copies of their website for development purposes have a similar workflow, so it might be useful to some people who are using Windows editors that are incapable of saving as unix format.

Thanks for your replies.