View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 06:29 PM  
Yil
Too much time...

Default Group admin issue

I'm working on site adduser for the suggestion:
Quote:
12) site adduser should create new user in group of creator unless it's the default server group in which case it reverts to NoGroup (1).
It turns out that "site adduser" DOES add a user to the first group you are group admin of which is different than the first group you are a member of. The problem so far as I can tell is people go around giving themselves the +G flag and think they are group admins. +G only gives you access to the command, but you need to use

Code:
SITE CHANGE username ADMINGROUP groupname
to actually be a group admin. Thus since you aren't the admin of a group but you can use the command any user you create is dropped into the NoGroup group.

There are a few solutions as I see it and I'm looking for feedback:

1) The first group you are a member of is the group you can admin with the +G flag and thus the group new users are created in. This is restrictive, but simple to understand. It obviously prohibits multiple group admin rights, so the 1 and M flags would give you rights to admin any group.

2) +G means you can admin any group you are a member of.

3) Use the current format where the list of admin groups is separate from the list of groups you are a member of and the first admin group is the group new users are created in by default for the account. HOWEVER, the check for adduser will now verify that if you only have +G (i.e. no 1 or M flag) you must also have admin rights specifically listed for a group. No more new users ending up in NoGroup which is clearly wrong behavior for a pure group admin.

I'm partial to #3 since it's the most flexible. I've already added a new super cookie to use to access the already existing admingroups field of user accounts since currently it's important to see what group is listed first.

Let me know what you think...
Yil is offline   Reply With Quote