Thread: System slowdown
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 AM  
X3

I have had my system restored yet again and without installing any antivirus or firewall...

Quote:
Posted by: Seome
With speed problems such as you were experiencing the Firewall/AV is the issue in 95% of cases so it is usually a good place to start with to at least establish a baseline.
I can confirm that antivirus and firewall have nothing involved in causing isssues such as this it's the other 5% (how tipical of me to fall on such small odds, story of my life)

Has for the winsock fix windows xp sp2 (what Im using) has inbuilt commands to fix a currupted winsock... (just for viewers reference and futher understanding of theire PC's).

Start Menu>run>cmd (press ok)

**To view the current winsock catalog type on the DOS window type> netsh winsock show catalog

**This will remove any non standard LSP (layered service provider) Any non standard installed will have to be reeinstalled...

To reset type on open DOS window to reset winsock > netsh winsock reset catalog (tap enter)

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 for further interesting material on winsock2

And that shows me I have/had and will continue to enjoy a healthy winsock (nock on wood)...

Unfortunatly I have made these checks and even done what the tool you posted does but I rather not install/run any unecessary software/tool (even if it does automatically what I can do just as easily with a few taps on keyboard).

@Seome

Quote:
Posted by: Seome
I did not see Bigstar had replied to this issue before my last response was posted
Maybe it's time for some holidays away for stress buddy... After all this is becomming an habit of not actually reading previous posts before pressing that submit button on the board... Or is it the time zones

happy holidays Seome