View Single Post
Old 10-10-2005, 09:53 PM  
_panic_

Default wk1 development status

this is my second weekly status report. my first one is in this thread. it is looking like monday night is a good time for me to post these, so i expect this to be my pattern.

i spent all my ioftpd development time this week getting ioftpd to compile. as i mentioned last week, i didn't get all the stuff i needed from d1 before he disappeared, and recreating his development environment has been very time consuming.

i've gotten hold of the versions of php and tcl used in the current ioftpd beta, got them built, and now can use them to compile ioftpd. so definitely the good news is that i have a version of ioftpd compiling on my local machine!

it isn't currently behaving like the beta release of ioftpd, as i get an error immediately on startup. the error message is "failed to create creds." i haven't even searched the forums yet to see if this has come up before, but i think this is related to a missing library or something else wrong with my build environment. i have some debugging yet to figure this out.

when i *do* get all this worked out, i'm going to put the whole build environment inside a virtual machine. (probably vmware, as i have a friend that works there who keeps me informed about what they are up to.) this way no one else will have to go through this mess again in the event of a bus error (i.e. if i get hit by a bus).

so this week i'll be debugging the errors i'm now getting and figuring out what is wrong with my build. my goal is to have a running ioftpd by next monday.

the version of php we're using is kinda old now, so i'd like to upgrade it at some point. i'll do the same for tcl. i'm not in a hurry for either of these, unless i hear otherwise.

i picked up and clarified some of my own notes on some existing bugs that came up this week in the forums. namely the 4k+.ioFTPD bug, and an issue with modifying the user/group files while ioftpd is running. i'm particularly annoyed at the 4k+.ioFTPD bug, so i might go hunting for that to settle into the code (after writing the UserModule docs).

so not very much activity is externally visible this week, but i'm very relieved to finally see ioftpd compiling. it was scary to think i might be missing something i couldn't replace.

on another note:

EwarWoo, i *think* your suggestion of keeping a separate comment thread was intended for me to continue posting to my original thread and thereby keeping my status updates all in one place. alas, i don't have moderator status on the boards, so i can't open closed threads. heh, i don't even know if what i just explained was your intention anyway, so some clarification on what you think works best for keeping track of these reports is appreciated.