View Single Post
Old 08-12-2005, 12:55 PM  
Linkster

Default News & Requests regarding Scripts. PLEASE READ!

1. First, I want to thank the scripting community for all of your efforts. It is truly amazing to see all the functionality you have added to ioFTPD. Keep up the good work!

2. Next, I hope everyone is getting used to the new scripts section on the website. If you have any problems/suggestions, please let us know. That said, we really want to emphasize that all scripts should be uploaded using the customer portal. Please DO NOT post your new script in the forum. It makes it much harder for everyone to track what is going on, what scripts are available, etc. The scripts section centralizes everything.

For those of you who haven't found it, simply login to the customer portal (http://portal.inicom.net) and click on the "My ioFTPD Scripts" link on the left. All ioFTPD registered users are allowed to upload scripts.

3. For those of you who have created your own websites for your scripts, that is fine. However, we would appreciate if you would use the scripts section as your primary download link. This will allow you to see and track the downloads accurately, and allow users to rate your script more easily. I recommend you link directly to your scripts detail page so all files available can be seen.

4. Lastly, we are finalizing the scripter's pool section (yes, it's a long time coming!), but we wanted to get your input on how to handle a few things.

-For those of you who participate with foundation scripts, we need to come up with an accurate way to gauge who/how much should be paid out. Our original idea is to create an "index" of sorts that takes a script's rating and multiplies it by number of downloads. The indexes for each of a user's scripts would then be added up, and used as a final number for determining percentage of the pool. For this to work, my above recommendations should be heeded and should encourage people to rate the scripts they want to see compensated. One problem with this approach is that it doesn't take into account the hours involved, or the size of the project (compare a 2 line script to something like ioBanana for example). We are open to discussion/suggestions on variations of this theme, so please chime in. Our ultimate goal is to keep you guys happy, so if you don't speak up, you can't complain!

-Next, is the payment method. By far, the easiest thing for us to code is going to be payments via PayPal, but I am aware that not all countries support PayPal. Is this going to be a sufficient method, or are there other options we should consider. Keep in mind that we need to keep the administrative overhead of this system to a minimum, and using PayPal will allow us to completely script the process.

-What did you like/didn't like about the way things were previously handled. This is an open invitation to discuss how we can make things better, and encourage more users to participate in the foundation license program.

I think that's it for now. Thanks for your time, and keep scripting!
Linkster is offline   Reply With Quote