Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 953 Category: General / Unknown
Title: File Transfer Rules - Case Insensitive Checkbox Status: Open
Severity: Minor Version: 4.x

jcony
06-30-2014, 12:35 PM
File Transfer Rules - Case Insensitive Checkbox

Typically the client will check for a file's existence/size/date by checking the size on the remote server using the SIZE/MDTM commands. However, if the file name case is different between source and destination, the client will attempt to perform the transfer anyways.

If the transfer rules were allowed to optionally use the LIST / STAT data, the transfers would have minimized overhead delay and the ability to be case insensitive.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-01-2014, 08:54 AM
Re: File Transfer Rules - Case Insensitive Checkbox

If you want to trade accuracy for speed then you can uncheck "Request file size/date prior to transfer" and it will use the information used to generate the file listing instead. This can be turned off globally or per-site via the File Transfer Rules dialog.
jcony
07-08-2014, 09:02 PM

I don't know how I overlooked that one!

Tangentially, the checkbox appears to not factor in case sensitivity (which could be a drawback for some). Luckily, this is as desired in my case and there are considerable performance benefits for my high latency connections.

Thanks for the response.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
07-10-2014, 09:39 AM

The "Request file size/date prior to transfer" setting queries the server for the current size and date of the file, whether or not this is case-sensitive depends on how the server handles file names and/or if the server file system is case-sensitive.

This setting is intended to provide FlashFXP with the more current and accurate file size and date information.

When this setting is unchecked (off) FlashFXP uses the information available from the more recent directory listing, Since FlashFXP doesn't know if the remote server/file system is case-sensitive it uses a two step lookup. The first step performs an exact case-sensitive match, if no match is found then a case-insensitive match is performed.

This offers the best of both worlds

When you need the comparison to be as accurate as possible you use "Request file size/date prior to transfer", this is slower because commands must be sent to the remote server and depending on the round-trip latency (client <> server).

When speed is more important than accuracy you can turn off this setting and it will give you the desired result.

You can configure this globally as well as per-site and this gives the user the most flexibility, plus you could always create multiple site profiles with specific rules based on the specific task at hand.