Go Back   FlashFXP Forums > >

Project: FlashFXP Feature Requests Ticket Tools
ID: 726 Category: Functionality
Title: Accurate queue times for uploads Status: Open
Severity: Minor Version: 4.x

astro1
06-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Accurate queue times for uploads

This is a feature which is sorely needed in my opinion. At present FlashFXP will give accurate times for "downloads" in the queue area, but fails miserably when being used to upload files. The remaining time will reflect how much time the individual file will take to finish uploading, but the queue time should give a reasonably accurate estimate of how long the remaining items will take to finish uploading, but nothing of the kind. Please remedy this omission. Thanks.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
06-12-2012, 09:36 AM
Re: Accurate queue times for uploads

The queue remaining time is calculated using a running average of the transfer speed over a 2 minute window, this is done to normalize the value when transferring small files and to handle situations where the there are huge variations in speed.

Typically I test between several specific servers on these servers I do not see any abnormal estimates in the queue remaining time.

Just recently I started tested against my router running vsftpd and uploading to a usb thumb drive, with this new test setup I am seeing a flaw in the logic used to calculate the estimated queue time, the first 100mb or so are transferred very fast 7-9MB/s and then the speed drops to around 5-6MB/s for another 100mb or so, then 2-4MB/s. The speed constantly drops over the duration of the 6 files (390mb) transferred, the queue takes about 1min 28 seconds to complete with an final average of 4.42MB/s. Now the queue remaining time is calculating an average speed of 6MB/s (over a 2min window) which in turn throws off the estimate.

In this type of situation the current logic is flawed. In the past we did some additional normalizing when calculating the average speed but this also had some issues with skewing the results.

I will investigate some alternative solutions and post back with a test build for you.
FlashFXP Developer
bigstar
06-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Re: Accurate queue times for uploads

Please try this dev build and let me know if you think the method used for calculating the queue time is better or worse

http://www.flashfxp.com/testr/ffxp4.2.4.1784.zip